“Journalism is communicated not only in words,
but with the power of pictures.”
David P. Michaels, Foreign Press Association, President
The Foreign Press Association (“FPA”) Scholarship Fund invites you to submit an entry for our 2017 Photo Calendar.
Proceeds will contribute to the ongoing work of the Scholarship Fund.
The FPA Scholarship Fund is committed to supporting the development of the next generation of international reporters.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
Your photograph should demonstrate your personal perspective of “International Cities” and/or “International People.”
Photos must be submitted by 11:59 pm EST on September 30th, 2016.
FILE SIZE REQUIREMENTS
Please submit files no larger than 20MB.
Higher resolution files of at least 240 dpi/ppi will be requested should your entry be selected.
All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared.
Entries may originate in any format – including, but not limited to digital files, digital prints,color transparencies, color prints, or black and white prints – so long as they are submitted electronically in a .JPEG, .jpg, or .png form.
Multiple exposures that have been combined to produce a single “High Dynamic Range” image are acceptable.
Entries should include metadata if possible.
Caption information should include:
- Name of location
- Detailed caption of subject matter
- Publication/Media Affiliation
Previously published material for which non-exclusive rights were granted may be entered as long as you still maintain the right to grant us a license, (see “Your Rights” below).
You must be able to disclose when and where the photo appeared previously.
If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those upon request.
The FPA Scholarship Fund shall determine eligibility at its sole and absolute discretion.
HOW TO SUBMIT
All images must be submitted by attaching to an email addressed to the FPA Scholarship Fund at firstname.lastname@example.org, with all required information, including name, email and other requested information about your photo submission.
You may submit up to three photos, but you may not use an agency or automated system for your submission(s).
The FPA Scholarship Fund reserves the right to reject any photos that are not submitted as directed.
Through your submission, you indicate your unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of the FPA Scholarship Fund’s decisions, which are final and binding.
For your photograph to be considered you must comply with all the requirements as listed.
Photos will be selected on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, artistic merit and subject matter. Selections will be made by the Selection Committee.
The Selection Committee will evaluate all valid submissions and select the photographs for the 2017 Calendar.
OTHER TERMS & CONDITIONS
You will retain all rights to any photograph you submit, including ownership, if applicable.
If you submit a photograph to be considered for the Calendar, you grant the FPA Scholarship Fund a royalty-free, nonexclusive right to:
- Feature your photograph in the 2017 FPA Scholarship Fund Calendar.
- Use the photograph on the Internet and in Social Media in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in FPA and FPA Scholarship Fund internal and external communications materials including but not limited to web sites and web publications, fact sheets, fundraising publications, advertising, multimedia, presentation and membership services, annual report.
- Use, in connection with the Selection Process for the 2017 Calendar , your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions.
- Retain a digital copy of your photograph that will be archived in the FPA and FPA Scholarship Fund photo library and accessible via the FPA and FPA Scholarship Fund internal online photo archive.
- The FPA Scholarship Fund will endeavor to credit all photographs with the caption “Person’s Name”; when the full name is available.
In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Photo Selection Process is impaired in any way, FPA Scholarship Fund may, in its sole discretion, either:
- suspend the Selection Process to address the impairment and then resume it; or
- select from among the eligible submissions received up to
the time of the impairment. The FPA Scholarship Fund reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the Photo Selection Process, violates the Submission Requirements, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. The FPA Scholarship Fund’s failure to enforce any term of the Submission Requirements shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
Proof of sending any communication to the FPA Scholarship Fund by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by the Fund.
In the event of a dispute as to the owner of an online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the owner.
The Photo Selection is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
By submitting a photograph, you agree to release and hold harmless the FPA and FPA Scholarship Fund, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents, (the “Released Parties”), from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Photo Selection for the 2017 Calendar including, but not limited to:
- unauthorized human intervention in the Photo Selection Process;
- technical errors;
- printing errors;
- late or undelivered mail;
- errors in the administration of the Photo Selection Process; or
- injury or damage to persons or property. You waive the right to claim any attorney’s fees and any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
PRIVACY AND PUBLICITY
Except where prohibited, you consent to the FPA Scholarship Fund’s use of your name in any list of selected photographers (if applicable) and for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.
You agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Photo Selection for the 2017 Calendar shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in New York State.
All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Submission Requirements, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the FPA Scholarship Fund in connection with the Photo Selection, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of New York State, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of New York State or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than New York State.
Questions and inquiries can be emailed to
Camilla G Hellman
e. email@example.com t. + 1 212 729 0127